Just when you thought gingerbread cookies couldn't get any better....put a gingerbread KitKat candy in the middle! It's a gingerbread explosion of flavor, sure to become one of your holiday favorites.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- granulated or coarse sugar
- gingerbread KitKat candy bars
- holiday sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350° with one rack on the bottom & 1 rack in the middle. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Put your granulated/coarse sugar in a shallow dish. Cut candy bars in half.
- Using electric mixer, blend together butter & sugars until creamy & well blended.
- Add molasses, egg & vanilla & blend well.
- Combine dry ingredients starting with 2-3/4 cups of flour & gradually add to cookie dough. Mix well. Add additional flour as needed to make a firm dough, that's not sticky.
- Bake a single test cookie. Take desired amount of dough, roll in a ball, & roll the top in your granulated sugar. Bake 3-4 minutes on the bottom, & then move to middle rack for an additional 4-5 minutes. Cookie should be very lightly browned on the bottom & "dry" looking on top. Don't overbake, or they will get hard. Remove from oven & immediately put 1/2 a KitKat in the middle. Return to the oven for a few seconds for the candy to soften. Immediately after removing from the oven, put holiday sprinkles on the candy bar. If the cookie flattens out too much, add additional flour.
- Bake remaining cookies.
- Cool on wire wire rack.
This post contains affiliate links. Should you make a purchase using a link, we may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Gingerbread KitKats are typically available just at Christmas time. You don't need the holiday sprinkles, but they will look much more festive & colorful! You can use other candy, such as Hershey kisses, as well. The white swirled ones look best with this cookie.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!